Neck pain is a condition where a person experiences pain anywhere from the bottom of the head to the top of the shoulders.
The pain could be localized, or spread, or even “shoot” into the upper back, shoulders and arms. The pain can be minimal – conditions such as aches, dull pain, or stiffness – or debilitating, causing severe loss of movement in the head and neck. Like most musculoskeletal conditions, there may be many causes of pain.
Often, neck pain is caused from overuse or repetitive positional stress on the muscles, ligaments, tendons and joints of the neck.
Neck Pain can be caused by many factors, including:
- Sleeping. Sleeping face down with your neck twisted to one side all night, or positioned oddly with a pillow can have you waking up stiff, sore, and unable to use the full range of your neck.
- Your Computer. Long hours at the computer with your head stretched forward can cause neck pain. Poor posture at the computer desk is a very common cause of neck and back pain.
- Accidents. Motor vehicle accidents, slips, and falls can all put severe strain on your neck, causing discomfort that gets worse over time.
- Poor posture. Years of bad posture can lead to neck pain, which often starts as dull aches, and grows worse over time.
- Age. As you age, your body becomes more susceptible to damage, and you can more easily injure your neck.
More serious conditions also exist which can cause neck pain such as infections, tumors, spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal), herniated discs, spinal degeneration, bone spurs and other conditions.
Request an Appointment
Please fill out the information below & someone from our team will contact you to confirm your visit.
Symptoms of neck pain include:
- Dull aches and pains
- Severe pain
- Limiting mobility (“crick or pinch feeling”)
- Burning into the arm(s) and hands
- Numbness and tingling
- Muscle weakness
Arm pain, muscle weakness and numbness and tingling are generally, but not always a good indication of spinal nerve root pressure or a “pinched nerve.”
Some indications of serious illness include but aren’t limited to:
- Chest pain with or without arm pain
- Loss of balance and coordination
- Slurred speech
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of vision
- Severe unrelenting headache
- Sudden onset of severe muscle weakness
If you experience any of these symptoms, call a doctor immediately. You could require emergency assistance.
A life free from neck pain IS possible.
We offer a variety of treatments for neck pain including simple chiropractic adjustments, decompression therapy, or more technical procedures like epidural steroid injections and radiofrequency ablation that can help provide relief safely and quickly. Call 210-741-9166 today and find out which treatment is right for you.